[Pw_forum] Re:error in q2r.out

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Wed Feb 28 08:17:17 CET 2007

I see two reasons why the number of q-point needed by ph.x could differ
from the original one:
1) the symmetry of your crystal (the one relevant for the phonon calc.)
is lower than the symmetry of your bravais lattice (the one generated by
kpoints.x) ... use your q-points list as the k_points list in a scf
calculation and see how many points pw.x generates... that
is the list you should use in the ph.x calculation. How many symmetry
operations are found by pw.x in the opriginal scf calculation ?
Are you sure you provide enough digits in the atomic coordinates in
order to have all expected symmetries ?
2) the test condition used to check whether two points are equivalent is
tighter than the error due to truncation in the number of digits printed
in the q-point list. This however would INCREASE the number of points
not decrese its. In any case, to check this possibility you could modify
kpoint.x so as to print a few more digits and see if this fix the problem.
let me know
stefano