[Pw_forum] Wild phonons

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 19 15:51:57 CET 2007

Dear Miguel,

is the q=0.1 0.1 0 the result of a direct phonon calculation,
or the result of an interpolation ? If it's a matdyn interpolation,
I wouldn't be surprised at all - small changes at q=0 can really affect
your interpolation.

If it's a direct calculation, my only comment would be that a change
from 0.02 to 0.15 is not that small (with smearing, you should think
at the inverse - i.e. it's much easier to converge with respect to
k-points when you have 0.02, that when you have 0.01).

This doesn't really solve your problems, of course, and the only thing
you need to figure out is if 26x26x26 and 0.02 is good, or not - and
the only way is to increase the k-point, and making sure htat things do
not change, and then decreasing the smearing, and retesting (painful).

I've seen samplings as high as 40x40x40 to get the elastic constants
right in Nb, from the sound velocities.

My experience is that it is less expensive to get elastic constants
from the energy than form the phonons, but once you really ramp up
the k-points (as said, even 40x40x40, and you are converged with the
smearing - not too small, not too large) the results are the same.

Note that at finite pressure one might need to be careful about
energy and enthalpy and what is exactly that you are calculating -
my guess is that you need the second derivatives of the enthalpy, and I
suspect that is what the phonon slopes would be, but it would be better
to check carefully the literature. Anyone care to comment ?

			nicola