[Pw_forum] Raman and IR intensities for a metal

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Dec 14 22:46:52 CET 2007

Dear Miriam: you and others will forgive my ignorance, but I would
need some further explanations. According to the usual theory, they
both should be zero:````````````````````` the second is given by Born
effective charges (that are zero in metals), the former by the
derivative of the inverse macroscopic electric constant (which is also
zero). How can a metal be Raman or IR active? Thanks - SB

On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Miriam Marques wrote:

>  Dear ESPRESSO users,
>
>  I would like to know if it is possible to compute
>  Raman and Infrared intensities for a metallic system.
>
>  Thank you very much in advance,
>
>  Miriam.
>
>  Dr. Miriam Marques
>  Centre for Science at Extreme Conditions.
>  The University of Edinburgh.
>  e-mail: mmarques at staffmail.ed.ac.uk

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)