[Pw_forum] CuO, LDA+U, Pseudopots, etc.

Paul M. Grant w2agz at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 14 08:20:27 CET 2007

To All responding to my initial thread:

I'm amazed and encouraged by the response of the community to my problem.  I
will be trying your suggestions...e.g., a "rich man's" Wannier projection.
Of course, this trapping into a "metastable state" is typical of many highly
nonlinear systems of any type...such as the many body nonlinear
Navier-Stokes equations, sometimes referred to as the "weather."

Someone pointed out the importance of covalency in the Cu-O double bond, and
I'm not sure how to accommodate this in PWscf (in the simple Hubbard
Hamiltonian, you just futz around with U and t in a Monte Carlo
simulation...in 1 or 2 dimensions).  As I mentioned in my original posting,
there may be a profound issue here that DFT LDA+U may find difficult to
address...it's probably the origin of HTSC.  There is a polemic published
back in 1989 by Phil Anderson to the effect that pseudopotential theory may
not apply to divalent Cu-O bonds.

Nonetheless, I would still like to find a way to get a Hubbard Gap in
divalent CuO from a PW/PP starting point.  I'm old enough to remember this
was once quite a task for NiO.

Paul M. Grant, PhD
Principal, W2AGZ Technologies
Visiting Scholar, Applied Physics, Stanford University
EPRI Science Fellow (Retired)
IBM Research Staff Member Emeritus
w2agz at pacbell.net
http://www.w2agz.com