[Pw_forum] how PAW should be used?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Dec 12 10:56:12 CET 2007

Dear Javad hashemifar and all,

the PAW method is currently under implementation in the PWscd code in
the QE dsitribution (maily thanks to the work of Lorenzo Paulatto, a PhD
SISSA student, and myself building upon important preliminary
contributions from Guido Fratesi, a former PhD SISSA student, and
Riccardo Mazzarello, a SISSA postdoc) .
It is nearly done and it will be described in the next release of QE
(expected to come out some time next January).
 From the user point of view it should be very similar to an US
peudopotential calculations.. one will simply need to provide a PAW
dataset in the UPF format ....
Presently the extension of UPF format for PAW and a set of datasets for
most  common elements is  under development...
It will takes some time to generate them and have same basic testing...
The contibution from the QE community to an extensive testing of these
datasets will be  very much important  in the first few months from the
release but we are not yet ready for that. now... though we are getting
closer.

For the time being please be patient .

Useful literature for a description of the PAW method includes:
1) P.E.Bloechl, PRB 50, 17953 (1994),
2) N.A.W.Holzwart et al., PRB 55, 2005 (1997),
3) G.Kresse and D.Joubert, PRB 59, 1758 (1999).

Stefano de Gironcoli, SISSA and DEMOCRTITOS