[Pw_forum] calculating lambda for a phonon band structure with imaginary frequencies

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Dec 9 14:06:47 CET 2007

Imaginary frequencies are usually a sign of a mechanical instability,
as discussed many times in this forum as well as in many condensed-
matter textbooks. I think the answer is yours: if you want to
calculate the electron-phonon interaction of an instable (possibly
metastable) phase of a material, please do. If instead instability is
soemething that troubles you, then you better settle your troubles
first. Cheers - SB

On Dec 9, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Guoying Gao wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>      I intend to do the electron-phonon coupling calculation.
> However, I found some  imaginary frequencies in the phonon band
> structure.
> So is it reasonable to calculate the lambda for the qpoints with
> imaginary frequencies and why?
> Thanks very much!
> Guoying
> National Lab of Superhard Materials, JiLin Univ, P. R. China

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)