[Pw_forum] about Fermi Energy shift in periodic (q=0) perturbations

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Dec 5 21:43:45 CET 2007

dear Ezad Shojaee,
At any q/=0 the perturbation is such that the number of electrons does
not change.
Even in the limit of q->0 the macroscopic term in the density response
is zero (because in a metal
the dielectic constant is infinite).
Now consider the case of a periodic (q=0) perturbation, the simplest
one, a constant, threated with or w/o the FE shift... which of the two
treatments corresponds to the result you would obtain in the liimit  q->0 ?

please provide your affiliation

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS