[Pw_forum] mean value point for arbitrary lattices

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Fri Apr 27 14:59:53 CEST 2007

The paper by Baldereschi on the mean value point  [Phys. Rev. B 7, 5212
- 5215 (1973)] is the "father" of all schemes  on BZ integration based
on "mean value" or "special" points.
A generalization of  Baldereschi's idea to more than just one point is
given by Chadi and Cohen, Phys. Rev. B 8, 5747 - 5753 (1973).
Monkhorst and Pack  give a simpler (in my opinion) and more flexible
generation scheme.  For cubic lattices the two schemes lead to the same
set of points.
Accurate integration with just a few points is only possible when the
system is highly symmetric.

stefano