[Pw_forum] RE: on the finite electric field method

umari at democritos.it umari at democritos.it
Thu Apr 26 14:54:57 CEST 2007

Dear Liu,

For calculating Raman spectra of large model structure I suggest the method
described in :

P. Umari, A. Pasquarello “Infrared and Raman spectra of disordered
materials from first principles”, DIAMOND AND RELATED  MATERIALS 14,
1255 (2005).

The idea is that the Raman tensor is calculated by taking finite differences
of atomic forces in the presence of an electric field

For the calculation of the whole tensor, two different electric fields are
required.
In the code cp.x (see the documentation file: INPUT_CP ) the
possibility of up two different electric fields is implemented.
Please consider that:
1)atomic forces and electric fields are implemented for the US
pseudopotentials
only in the cp code 2)for parallel calculations onlt the option gdir=3
is supported

Both limitations will be overcome with a new version in about one-month time.

Best wishes,
PaoloU