[Pw_forum] Work function calculation of CNT

Tuo-Hung Hou th273 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 19 23:46:43 CEST 2007

Hi!,

I am doing the work function calculation on carbon nanotubes. If I am not
mistaken, the scf calculation should give me Fermi energy or midgap between
HOMO and LUMO. Then, one can use pp.x plot_num 1 to generate the total
potential profile. The work function is decided by the difference between
the Fermi energy and the potential energy at the vaccum of the supercell.

However, I am running into a problem that the Fermi energy from scf (1.65
ev) is higher than any potential inside the entire supercell (ranging from
-10.4 to 0.4 eV).  When I looked at both the charge and potential profiles,
they seemed to suggest the Fermi energy should be somewhere around -4 eV,
which is not even close to the value scf reported. I am very confused now.
What is the Fermi energy I can use? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Tuo-Hung

Tuo-Hung Hou

Cornell University