[Pw_forum] About valence bands maximum

roma roma at srmp.saclay.cea.fr
Thu Apr 19 10:57:42 CEST 2007

Dear Ian Haiping,

it is true that seldom papers about defects discuss this point, and I am
probably guilty of this too. My understanding is that your expression
for the valence band top of the defect is correct, but then it depends
on how you use it. What has been omitted according to the person that
told you this?
The crucial quantity is [<V(D,q)> -<V(0)>] (let us call it
DeltaV(D,q) ). Long ago I did a small program to calculate the so called
macroscopic average of the potential (Balderesci, Baroni,Resta, PRL v61,
p734, 1988) in the supercell: it was ok for a defect in a simple metal
(I could find the "bulklike" region) but for the system I was interested
in, SiO2, the oscillations of the macroscopic average along the
supercell made it useless. Supercell too small? Problems due to the
symmetry of my supercell? I adopted a different strategy, I determined
the energy shift that maximises the overlap (or minimises the square
differences) of the density of states of the defected and perfect
crystal. This shift is for me DeltaV(D,q).
This, according to my experience, can be unambiguosly determined as long
as the relaxations are good (and k-point sampling is sufficient).
Then another question is to which extent the DeltaV term corrects for
the image interaction of charged defects, on which I would appreciate
also the feedback from others on the list.
Best regards,

Guido

--
Guido Roma <roma${at}cea.fr> -- CEA-Saclay - DEN/DMN/SRMP Bat.520/13
Phone: [+33]-1-69081857 -- Fax: ...6867 -- Mobile: [+33]-6-20069085