"**Suspected SPAM**" Re: [Pw_forum] Does anyone know the Hubbard U parameter of InN ?

Malgorzata Wierzbowska wierzbom at ts.infn.it
Wed Apr 11 10:24:25 CEST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, ³¯ ¤ÖµØ wrote:

> Dear Matteo and ohters,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I had calculated the bandstructure of InN by LDA .But
> there is no band gap show up.Someone told me the LDA+U
> method could open the gap.That is why I ask this
> question.
>
> Best Regards
> max

  Yes someone (see the abstract below) said this. But I tried
  for ZnX (X=S,Se,Te) series - moving d-states of Zn into their
  experimental position (U was chosen by "numerical experiment") --
  and I did not find much effect on the gap...... Maybe it depends
  also on implementation and the projectors for LDA+U.

  To open a gap you may try to correct pseudopotentials using
  "scissors" operator (see the second paper and citations of that paper).
  Gosia
  Title: Effects of cation d states on the structural and electronic
properties of III-nitride and II-oxide wide-band-gap semiconductors
Author(s): Janotti A, Segev D, Van de Walle CG
Source: PHYSICAL REVIEW B 74 (4): Art. No. 045202 JUL 2006
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 54      Times Cited: 1      Find Related Records
Information
Abstract: Using first-principles methods based on density functional
theory within the local density approximation (LDA) we calculate the
structural and electronic properties of wurtzite MgO, ZnO, and CdO, and
discuss their similarities and dissimilarities with the corresponding
Group-III nitrides AlN, GaN, and InN. We treat the semicore d states of
Zn, Cd, Ga, and In explicitly as valence states in a pseudopotential
approach, investigate the effects of including on-site Coulomb interaction
for Zn, Cd, Ga, and In semicore d states within the LDA+U method, and
propose a novel approach to calculate the parameter U. Our results show
that the LDA+U approach systematically improves the LDA band gap by
indirectly acting on both the valence-band maximum and conduction-band
minimum. We also discuss the effects of the on-site Coulomb interaction on
structural parameters and absolute deformation potentials of ZnO, CdO,
GaN, and InN.
Electronic structure of GaAs under strain

PRB vol 30 p.5753 (1984)

Results of self-consistent relativistic band calculations for GaAs under
hydrostatic as well as uniaxial strain are presented. Deformation
potentials related to the splitting of the valence-band edge (Γ15v) are
calculated with and without inclusion of spin-orbit coupling. The
trigonal-shear deformation potentials that agree with experiments
correspond to an internal-strain parameter ζ=0.6±0.1. The calculated
values, 16-19 eV, of the optical deformation potential d0 are
substantially smaller than the published experimental results (≃41 eV).
The E0 gap obtained in the local-density approximation is 0.25 eV. A
method of correcting for this error and for calculating,
self-consistently, the lowest s-like conduction band is described, and
used to derive pressure dependences of the gaps and conduction-band
masses. The parameters for this adjustment of the conduction band are
determined for zero pressure, and can be kept pressure independent. We
find (1/mc*)dmc*/dP=0.68×10-2 kbar-1. The pressure at which
conduction-band inversion occurs is 30.5 kbar. The value calculated for
shear deformation potential E2L is 19 eV for ζ=0.6. The
spin-orbit-induced splitting of the lowest conduction band for
k→∥[110] and the additional strain-induced splitting are calculated
and related to experimental results for spin relaxation of photoexcited
electrons.

believed to be clean.