[Pw_forum] parallel compiling

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 18 17:02:38 CEST 2006

On 9/18/06, stargmoon <stargmoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Dr.Kohlmeyer,
>
>  Thanks for your reply.
>
>  I am just one user of our cluster, that is, I am not the system
> administrator. I do not know the detail of the installation of softwares

so please _ask_ your sysadmin, this is the person 'in the know'
about the details. as i wrote before, all machines/clusters are
slightly different, so there is no way to predict what might be a problem.

> there. But MPICH was there, and can be launched by "module add".  And I was
> told that MPICH was installed ourselves, not bundled with the machines.

so then your sysadmin _has_ to know...

> The command line I used to do "configure" is "./configure
> MPI_LIBS="-L/opt/mpi/tcp/mpich-pgi/lib -lmpich -lfmpich"
>
>  Could you please give me more hints what I should do to figure out this
> problem?

as i wrote before, please try to compile and run _another_ MPI program,
best one of the MPI tutorial examples, as they are rather trivial.
once you get that working, let us know what command line you needed
for the successful compile that produced a usable executable,
we can look into getting QE compiled.

>  By the way, have you ever used pathscale to compile espresso? It seems to
> be possible from the update information for espresso3.1.1. We have pathscale
> and mpich for pathscale work for VASP on our cluster.

i managed to do it a long time ago (including a few manual hacks).
but i didn't have access to a machine with pathscale for quite a while.
with the addition of the iotk library, probably a few more tweaks are/were
needed. i would not expect a large difference between pathscale and PGI
on AMD64 machines. most of the speed comes from the design of the
cpu itself and usually numerical codes like QE are faster, if you _lower_
the optimization (and especially avoid IPA/IPO and heuristic vectorization).
QE already takes a lot of advantage of SIMD instructions through the
use of optimized BLAS/LAPACK libraries (i.e. ACML on AMD64).

cheers,
    axel.