[Pw_forum] frequency of NO molecule

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 7 18:58:09 CEST 2006

We have done this in the past for CO on Pt (since that
Pt is very heavy, only 3 force constants are neeeded
(Pt-C, C-O, Pt-O)), and you diagonalize a 2x2 matrix
(instead of 6x6, for a molecule standing upright, with only
z as a degree of freedom). Compared to a full phonon calculation,
the discrepancies on the stretching mode of CO were of 50-70 cm-1,
i.e. 5%.

Of course, it depends on how heavy the metal is, and how
things are bonded, as Paolo points out.

				nicola