[Pw_forum] Non cubic structures

Miguel Martínez Canales wmbmacam at lg.ehu.es
Mon Oct 30 10:52:35 CET 2006

Amit Kumar wrote:
> I could not understand how one can set atomic positions in any calculations.
> In perticular if I know the space group PNMA62 and fractional coordinate of
> sample LaMnO3 molecule (Everywhere position of La Mn O1 O2 are given How
> will I find out atomic position of 3rd Oxygen using symetry???

Well, as far as I know, PWscf doesn't know that much crystallography. It
isn't enough to specify the space group and then the Wyckoff positions of
your atoms. In your case, if you are studiing the Cherepanov et.al.
structure, you will have to specify in your input all the 4c positions of
La, all the 4a positions of Mn, all the 4c positions of O1 and all the
general 8d positions of O2. The other thing you have to specify is that
your cell is a primitive orthorhombic one.

A bit of spoon feeding would be (please check the values):

ibrav= 8, celldm(1)=a, celldm(2)=b/a, celldm(3)=c/a,
nat = 20 , ntyp = 3

ATOMIC_POSITIONS {crystal}
La     0.5184  0.2500  0.0070
La     0.9816  0.7500  0.5070
La     0.4816  0.7500  0.9930
La     0.0184  0.2500  0.4930
Mn     0.0000  0.0000  0.0000
Mn     0.5000  0.0000  0.5000
Mn     0.0000  0.5000  0.0000
Mn     0.5000  0.5000  0.5000
O      0.9950  0.2500  0.0750
O      0.5050  0.7500  0.5750
O      0.0050  0.7500  0.9250
O      0.4950  0.2500  0.4250
O      0.2880  0.0960  0.2300
O      0.2120  0.9040  0.7300
O      0.7120  0.5960  0.7700
O      0.7880  0.4040  0.2700
O      0.7120  0.9040  0.7700
O      0.7880  0.0960  0.2700
O      0.2880  0.4040  0.2300
O      0.2120  0.5960  0.7300

Here, the keyword is {crystal}. Had nothing been defined, the coordinates
would have been read in celldm(a) units. While this doesn't affect systems
with a=b=c, it is important to note. What's more, the crystal basis changes
with ibrav. It is documented at the end of (line 1144 onward) in Doc/INPUT_PW.

If I am terribly wrong, I'd be glad if someone corrected me.

Any reference for example??? ). Is anybody aware of how coordinates in
premittive cell can be
> generated for perticular space group and frictional coordinates. How will I make a supercell of 4 formula unit for Orthorhombic structure????
>
> Is there any good reference on formation of supercell for non cubic crystal?????
> Why the manual is not as clear as ABINIT in PWSCF????
> Thanks in
> anticipations.
> With best regards
> Amit

Miguel MartÃnez Canales
Dto. FÃsica de la Materia Condensada
UPV/EHU
Facultad de Ciencia y Tecnología
Apdo. 644
48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5437

  "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
  we exchange these apples then you and I will
  still each have one apple. But if you have an
  idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
  ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

George Bernard Shaw