[Pw_forum] CP breakdown for long simulations?

Brandon Wood brandonw at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 19 19:04:10 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm running the CVS version of CP, and I'm wondering if anyone else has
come across this problem.  After ~10,000-15,000 timesteps of good data
for a well-behaved, insulating system, the total integrated electronic
charge density is suddenly no longer conserved and begins to fluctuate.
  As a result, the total energy drops rapidly and the simulation goes
haywire.

It seems like it is due to compounding of small numerical errors.  Could
there be a problem with the orthonormalization scheme that carries over
from timestep to timestep but only manifests itself after sufficient
time, for instance?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon C. Wood