[Pw_forum] Compilation on SGI

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:36:40 CEST 2006

On 10/3/06, Miao, Maosheng <mmiao at wsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> Thanks. I don't think SGI origin is crappy. Wahtsoever, we are thinking

it is not the hardware (although the SGI oxygens are a sad exception), it is
the compilers and the general software design (they used to have hundreds
of X11 programs with suid root). i've been forced (=paid) to support various
SGI machines throughout my career so far, and the benefits were never
worth the hassle (with one exception).

> of updating our machine. Unfortunately it will be another SGI (Altix
> 4700). Will it be easier to load PWscf?

yes and no. you will get a closer look at the quirkiness of the intel
compilers. ;-)
since they are mostly the same on all linux machines, there is more knowledge
about it 'in the wild'. ;-)

the good thing that comes out of your endeavor, is the the quantum espresso
code gets better regardless. thank you for that.

cheers,
    axel.