[Pw_forum] About postprocessing

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Nov 21 05:14:01 CET 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 12:26 AM, Giuseppe Piero Brandino wrote:

> Dear espresso user,
> i have some questions about the pp.x program.
> Asking the code to write the potential, for example
>
> plot_num=11=the V_bare + V_H potential,
>
> does it print the potential or the potential energy?
> I know that it prints it in Rydberg, so an energy.

right

> How do i get the potential? simply dividing by e

right

> or dividing by the total (ionic and electronic) charge density
> in each point?

this is a bit confusing to me. why would you divide by the local
charge density? an energy divided by a charge density makes a
potential times a volume, which is not what you expect, and
furthermore I am not aware of any sensible use of the resulting
quantity.

> Something else,
> is there a simple way to get the total charge density (electronic +
> ionic) from pp.x?

The ionic *pseudo*charge density is ill-defined when the
pseudopotential is non local (as it usually the case). On the other
hand, the physical (all-electron) valence+core charge density is not
simply the sum of the valence pseudo-charge+ionic charge. What would
be needed here  is the sum of the all-electron ionic charge density +
the valence charge density obtained from the reconstructed wave-
functions. This is what is done the PAW formalism (see PE Bloechl,
Phys. Rev. B 50, 17953 - 17979 (1994)). Work is in progress to
implement PAW in Quantum Espresso. Meanwhile, there might be tools
available to obtain a (more or less) quick-and-dirty recostruction of
the charge, but others may be more appropriate than me to address
this point.

Stefano Baroni

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)