[Pw_forum] Running nscf without altering wfc and charge density files

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 6 21:52:55 CET 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 stewart at cnf.cornell.edu wrote:

DS> Hi everyone,
DS>
DS> I am setting up a process where I will need to run several nscf calculations
DS> for band energy values for arbitrary k-points using the wfc and charge
DS> density from an initial scf calculation.  However, I want to insure that the
DS> nscf runs do not write over the original wfc and charge density files so I
DS> can do subsequent nscf calculations.  Is there a way to do this with pwscf?

hi derek,

it might work, but there is no special flag. you could try making
the restart directory read-only with chmod and then see if pw.x
still works. i made an audit of file accesses recently (to optimize
i/o buffering on a disk-less machine) and it looks as if there
are less writes now. i didn't try an nscf run, though.

DS> Or do I need to keep a storage directory with the original results and copy
DS> them over after every run?

that is the recommended way.

cheers,
   axel.