[Pw_forum] about GGA implementation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Tue May 30 15:41:53 CEST 2006

Dear Ezad,

the gap is a property that DFT is not meant to describe
or predict. There is a long literature on the topic. You can
even have a real insulator described correctly (in exact DFT)
by a Kohn-Sham metal.

Notwithstanding this, hybrid functionals often seem to predict
Kohn-Sham gaps in closer agreement with experiments. As far as I know,
there aren't hybrid functionals implemented in pwscf yet.

Gaussian03 has an extensive choice (e.g. the HSE hybrid),
and I believe that now CPMD also has several of them.

Best luck,

			nicola