[Pw_forum] Negative PDOS and Graphing of Energy Bands

John B Burdette burde1jb at cmich.edu
Wed May 24 18:20:04 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I am currently working with CaF2 and I recently used PWSCF to
obtain the energy bands and density of states.  Here I have
two questions for anyone willing to help me.

1. When observing the graph for the density of states,
everything appeared okay and was positive.  However, using
the program projwfc.x I obtained the projected density of
states and when I looked at the graph for the total PDOS, I
saw areas of negative values before each spike.  Can anyone
explain how a negative value for the PDOS could occur and
also if this is actually a problem I should worry about?

2. I also looked at the Energy Band Structure for CaF2 and I
am unaware of what the independent variable used for plotting
the energies from the program bands.x and plotband.x is.  Can
someone please help me here?

Best,
John