[Pw_forum] question on electron_dynamics and orthogonalization

Nichols A. Romero naromero at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 23:57:37 CEST 2006

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for pointing out the differences in the units for the forces
between the two codes.

It was primarily in the stress which I noticed the wild disagreement.
I *think* that I saw this problem in Q-Epresso 3.0 but I did not make
any comments at the time because I wasn't sure if I was using CP
correctly.

The model system I gave you was nitromethane obtained via PWSCF using
vc-relax with a target stress of 5 GPa at T=0. It's probably near
equilibrium at that pressure.

I will play with it a bit more to see if I can isolate the problem. I
do recall that the stress changes on the order of 0.5 GPa per
component when I changed either
emass_cutoff
or
nr1b,nr2b,nr3b

However, given that the total energy convergence was not set
particularly high in my calculation to begin with, this behavior is
not a surprise.

Bests,