[Pw_forum] White space error

james raynolds jamesraynolds at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 14:33:14 CET 2006

Dear users,

I'm trying to compile pwscf on an AIX machine with
xlf90.  It compiles with no errors but gives a runtime
error of "illegal instruction".  Using dbx I find that
the error is due to white space in lexical
expressions.

For example: calling the function f(x) like

f (x)

with a space between f and (x) gives rise to the
error.  If I take out the space and call it like

f(x)

the error goes away.  The problem is, there are so
many places where this happens that it is impossible
to take out all of the spaces.  Doing a grep on the
string ' ('  in the PW directory gives like 9000
places where this happens.

Does anyone know a work around??  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance...

Sincerely,
James E. Raynolds
Assistant Professor
College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
University at Albany, State University of NY
Albany, NY USA