[Pw_forum] Re: Crystallographic question. (sir_puding at tut.by)

Eduardo Ariel Menendez P emenendez at macul.ciencias.uchile.cl
Fri Mar 10 13:29:38 CET 2006

Hi,
One way would be use the Brillouin zone of the 8-atoms cell for both
cases. This is straightforward, but it may be not very pretty. The
8-atomos Brilloiun cell has the same information as the 2 atoms cell, it has 1/4 of
the volume, and 4 times the number of bands.

Other way would to represent the bands in the extended zone scheme (see
Ashcroft and Mermin). This is straightforward in a
1-dimensional case (just adding 2N pi/a to the k-vector of the Nth-band).
In the cubic cell, you can just plot the dispersion law for the
 x,y, or z direction, and to each Nth band add 2NPi/a to the wave vector,
where a is the
cubic lattice constant. Then you will have only one band that is discontinuous
at the borders of the Brillouin zones. If the structure has additional
peridiocity, such as the perfect lattice diamond, some discontinuities
will vanish. I do not know hoy to do it in a general direction. I would be
interested if you find an algorithm like that.

Other straightforward possiblity is to forget the bands, and only
compare the density of states.
Eduardo