[Pw_forum] Problems using 'relax' with bfgs

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Mar 2 11:23:04 CET 2006

Dear PW-users,

     while using calculation= 'relax' together with the 'bfgs' algorithm
I encountered the following problem: the relaxation seems to proceed
correctly up to a certain point and the reached configuration seems to
be near the desired minimum position, but in the next bfgs steps the
systems flips between two configurations and the energy oscillates up
and down (around the supposed minimum position). At this point the
algorithm seems not to be able to recognize that we are going back and
forth and it does not find a configuration that matches the threshold I
require (i.e. 1.0d-3, that is the default) on the forces.

Shoudn't the algorithm be aware of this situation and do something
smarter than oscillating back and forth? Or maybe should I adjust any
parameters with values different from the default ones?

In the attachment is the graph with the energy flips: someone might say
that the difference is not so much, but the forces on the two atoms I
let move are still higher than the threshold.
Who might desire the output file (is 400KB large) should ask me, I will
send it.
Here is the input:
-------
   &control