[Pw_forum] Charged systems calculation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 26 14:25:38 CEST 2006

1) have a look at papers on charged systems, from the Makov-Payne PRB
1995 to the PRLs et al from Peter Schulz (including one in the last month)

2) charging is a different problem than polarizing. Understanding where
an extra electron would go in a contacted nanotube is complicate, and
it is not evident to me that GGAs would give a correct answer.
Polarization by an external field is much simpler (see e.g. PRL 2006
from our group.

3) for transport and quantum-espresso, have a look at the various
papers by Calzolari, Nardelli, ourselves, and the
www.wannier-transport.org (and www.wannier.org) websites.

My advice would be to master one of these topics (1, 2 or 3) before
trying to combine all of them together.

				nicola