[Pw_forum] Simulated annealing using 3.1.1 version

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 30 15:47:05 CEST 2006

hi,

as far as theory and understanding the choice of parameters goes,
you (and perhaps others on the list) may want to look into this book,
that has been very recently published:

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521815916

the author, jorge kohanoff has a very lucid way of explaining the
underlying theory and the consequences in practical use of the
codes, that should be particularly useful for people that are new to
the field or are moving to a type of calculation that is new for them.

on the practical side, have a look at the examples shipped with
the quantum espresso distribution. there are several that use
the cp.x binary and from there it is only a tiny step to annealing.

further details of the individual flags are explained in the INPUT_XXX
files in the Doc directory. once you've been through all of that
and still have questions, come back to us.

axel.