[Pw_forum] reporting a possible compilation problem

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 11 16:28:58 CEST 2006

On 7/11/06, Paolo Giannozzi <giannozz at nest.sns.it> wrote:

> > i know it sounds a little bit dense but  is this an option switched
> > on by default that i have to switch off or something that i simply
> > have to avoid?

there should be a flag '-i4', but i'd generally recommend not
to use the 64-bit integer binary at all. many legacy fortran codes
_assume_ integer to be integer*4!

but the major issue is, that for the time being, there seems
little performance reason to use 64-bit integers in numerically
intensive codes, _especially_ on x86_64 where 32-bit integers
are as efficient and don't waste as much memory.
64-bit integers mostly matter for encryption/decryption and
systems with insanely large numbers of items...

ciao,
   axel.