[Pw_forum] about example06

Eric Abel etabel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 5 17:42:14 CEST 2006

You're right, it does take a lot of time...for me it took about 3-5 days per
k-point.  Make sure that you are using the crystal symmetry...that saves
time.  I'm just curious...if you know the atomic displacements, why do you
need to run a basic principles calculation?  If you want to only calculate a
few modes, I believe it is possible to limit the number of modes that are
calculated.  I've not done this, but I remember seeing this on either the
input of the nscf phonon calculation or the phonon calculation itself using
the pwgui interface.  There's a field where you can specify the number of
modes.  You might want to play around with this.  Otherwise, the only other
solution if you don't want to wait, is to find yourself a faster computer.

Eric