[Pw_forum] vc-md question

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Jan 31 09:22:15 CET 2006

As Paolo say vc related things are far from optimal... however it is
possible tu use it to perform structural relaxation
at finite pressure using it.

Check information about namelist &CELL in file Doc/INPUT_PW

calc='vc-md' performs variable cell  MD (no damping) at the pressure
specified by the variable press (in Kbar) in namelist &CELL using either
Parrinelllo-Raman or Wentzcovitch extended lagrangian ( specified as
cell_dynamics='pr' or cell_dynamics='w' ).
BEWARE default value of cell_dynamics is NONE even if calc='vc-md'.

calc='vc-relax' performs relaxation by  damped dynamics using either
Parrinello-Raman or Wentzcovitch extended lagrangian
(cell_dynamics='damp-pr' or 'damp-w' ... againg default is NONE) at the
pressure specified by press.

stefano