[Pw_forum] A soft phonon at Gamma point

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Feb 6 22:15:20 CET 2006

Hi Lijun Zhang. I would say it is a phonon instability (like the one
occurring in ferroelectricity). An elastic instability would be
signaled by a sound velocity going to zero. SB

On Feb 5, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Lijun Zhang wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am doing some calculations on pressure-induced phase transitions.
> With increasing pressures, It is found that a mode softens exactly
> at Gamma
> point.(higher pressure, more negative value) Does it represent a
> phonon instability or an elastic instability?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Lijun Zhang

> 赶快注册雅虎超大容量免费邮箱?
> http://cn.mail.yahoo.com

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)