[Pw_forum] questions on molecular dynamics example

Eduardo Ariel Menendez P emenendez at macul.ciencias.uchile.cl
Thu Dec 28 18:21:29 CET 2006

Hi everybody,
I think that now I understand the usefulness of extrapolation.
Default options are
pot_extrapolation='atomic',
wfc_extrapolation='none'

I think that wfc_extrapolation acts only for the first self-consistent
iteration at any ionic configuration, i.e., the guess wfc is taken from
the converged wfc at the previous ionic config, and extrapolated using
some differential formula. Its use is to accelerate the first scf
iteration. Once the first iteration is completed, the wfc is the same
either if extrapolation is used or not (if it is converged). Hence, the
guess wfc for the second iteration is always the one that satisfy the KS
equation for the guess potential. Hence, wfc_extrapolation does not affect the
number of scf iterations.

pot_extrapolation influences the guess for the potential, then it has a
direct influence on the number of iterations needed for self-consistency.
Here I assume that the default value is very good and is almost equivalent
to using the second order extrapolation (at least for my insulating system
and for the example 4). I have just made a test calculation (verlet dynamics, no T
rescaling) using pot_extrapolation='none' and the number of scf iterations
for convergence increases.

Please, correct me if this is not true.

It left to find out if the acceleration of the firs scf iteration mades a
big difference in the total CPU time.

Best regards
Happy 2007
Eduardo