[Pw_forum] Magnetic moment on each atom

Javad hashemifar jhashemifar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 11:24:26 CET 2006

I have not much experience with pwscf and I am at the first steps of
using it, but I think you can use projwfc.x to calculate the atomic
magnetic moments as well as partial density of states. After a normal
scf, you have to do a non-scf calculation and then dos.x should be
executed. Finally by executing projwfc.x, and looking at its output
you can find the number of up and down electrons of each atom (so
called "Lowdin" charges). By subtracting these values you will get the
atomic magnetic moments.
I hope this procedure is correct. If not, more expert users may correct it.

Best regards
Javad Hashemifar
permanent: Isfahan University of Technology, Iran
current: university of Duisburg-Essen, Germany

--
Seyed Javad  Hashemifar,    Ph.D.