[Pw_forum] PWscf can not find out symmetry operations!!!

Ó¢Àû Å£ niuyingli at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Aug 31 03:28:17 CEST 2006

Dear Pro. Baroni
Thanks a lot for your help!
  I have said that It was no use to set accep=1.0D-2
and recompiled pw.x. The program still could not find
any symmetry operation.
  Then I selected 7 inequivalent atoms, then used 8
symmetry operations:
  x,y,z
  -x,-y,z
  -x+1/2,y+1/2,-z
  x+1/2,-y+1/2,-z
  -x+1/2,-y+1/2,-z
  x+1/2,y+1/2,-z
  x,-y,z
  -x,y,z
to transform the 7 inequivalent atoms to 20 atoms in
the primary unit cell.
  Then I ran scf. I use Norm-Conserving PP and chose
ecutwfc=70,ecutrho=600.
  There appeared message "warning:symmetry operation #
 3/4/5/6 not allowed  fractional translation:" in the
out file as discussed before. Only 4 symmetry
operations without inversion could be found!
I set ecutrho = 500 and calculated it again. Then
all 8 symmetry operations was found!
  The stress tensor did not change too much!
  stress tensor(kbar) from original atom positions:
    49.20      0.01      0.07
     0.01    -16.72      0.16
     0.07      0.16      2.61
  stress tensor(kbar) from changed atom positions:
    49.98      0.00      0.00
     0.00    -16.13      0.00
     0.00      0.00      7.30
  All the nondiagonal elements changed to 0.00.
  I think changed accpe from 1.0D-5 to 1.0D-2 will be
harmful for the calculations. So I reset it to 1.0D-5
and recompiled.
  I have no other method to make the program find out
all 8 symmetry operations than this method.

  Another question:
  I use Yahoo mail box. How can I post the reply
message next to the message which is replied in the
mailing list. I alway started a new discussion line
with reply message! Sorry for that!