[Pw_forum] how to saturate dangling bonds in surface

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue Aug 29 11:50:53 CEST 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 15:56, Eduardo Ariel Menendez P wrote:

> I have a problem of surface defect in MgO. This is ionic with rocksalt
> structure. In a supercell calculation one has a real surface and an
> artificial surface that should mimic the bulk material. ?Are there
> dangling bonds in the bulk-like surface? Must they be saturated with
> a pseudo hidrogen (with charge one, at wich distance) ?

I am not sure what people actually does when calculating
such an object, but I think it might be convenient to have
two real surfaces. Surface relaxation in MgO shouldn't be
significant beyond a few layers, so it should be feasible
with reasonably-sized supercells

Paolo
--
Paolo Giannozzi             Phone:   +39/050-509876
DEMOCRITOS and SNS          Fax:     +39/050-563513