[Pw_forum] phonon at Gamma point

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 15:36:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

>From Users Guide (it was discussed before):

pw.x determines first the symmetry operations
(rotations) of the Bravais lattice; then checks which
of these are symmetry operations of the system
(including if needed fractional translations).
This is done by rotating (and translating if needed)
the atoms in the unit cell and verifying if the
rotated unit cell coincides with the original one.

If a symmetry operation contains a fractional
translation that is incompatible with the FFT grid,
it is discarded in order to prevent problems with
symmetrization. Typical fractional translations are
1/2 or 1/3 of a lattice vector. If the FFT grid
dimension along that direction is not divisible
respectively by 2 or by 3, the symmetry operation will
not transform the FFT grid into itself.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

=== message truncated ===