[Pw_forum] Re: Problem with Wannier function centers

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 21 17:39:46 CEST 2006

Hi Kostya,

it could be a bug, but it could also be an intrinsic issue.

The localization functional, in general, has multiple minima, of
which only one is meaningful in the chemical sense we have grown used to
(sometimes there can be more than one meaningful minimum, but that's
a longer story).

In fact, in the general wannier code (www.wannier.org) we use
projections onto trial wavefunctions to start our localization from
the basin of attraction of the minimum we want. The existence of
  "false" minima is ultimately related to the fact that Im ln <u_nk|u_m
k+b> is a multiply-valued function, and the arbitrary phases of the u_nk
that the wannier code tries to optimize can be such that there is
a 2 pi discontinuity, somewhere in the BZ, between u_nk and its
neigbours.

If you use CP/Gamma sampling (only real wavefunctions), in an orthogonal
cell, this problem has never appeared.

In CP, if the cell is not orthogonal, and you are using more than
3 G vectors to calculate the WF center (it's a sum on a shell of
neighboring G vectors, of Im ln <psi|e(igr)|psi>), you
can still converge to a local minimum.

Yudong Wu had tested the code for all the ibrav, so the Wannier
algebra should be correct - maybe you are converging to a local
minimum.

1) avoid non-orthogonal cells in CP

2) use www.wannier.org, in combination with pwscf, as soon as it is
released (end of April).

3) use projections in CP. We'll add this in the future, but probably
not right away.

				nicola