[Pw_forum] converged to wrong magnetic state of hcp cobalt in Opteron

wlyim at puccini.che.pitt.edu wlyim at puccini.che.pitt.edu
Fri Apr 14 02:52:41 CEST 2006

Dear Axel,

Thanks for your advice.

I have compiled pwscf.2.1.4 using EM64T Version 9.0 with MKL 8.0.1. Again,
the electronic structure went to the wrong state.
INTEL EM64T result:
!    total energy              =  -148.81668356 ryd
     estimated scf accuracy    <        2.0E-12 ryd

     band energy sum           =    15.05020564 ryd
     one-electron contribution =     6.02718174 ryd
     hartree contribution      =    21.83280277 ryd
     xc contribution           =   -65.85608487 ryd
     ewald contribution        =  -110.85073891 ryd
     correction for metals     =     0.03015572 ryd

     total magnetization       =     3.75 Bohr mag/cell
     absolute magnetization    =     4.14 Bohr mag/cell

It seemed to me that in this chemical system, the energy is constantly
shifted by 0.06 Ry when compared to Origin result. I pick up the first
iteration step for comparison:
Origin:
     iteration #  1     ecut=    30.00 ryd     beta=0.70
     Davidson diagonalization (with overlap)
     ethr =  1.00E-02,  avg # of iterations =  4.2

     npt with rhoup < 0:        2, npt tot    20736,      0.01 %

     npt with rhoup < 0:        2, npt tot    20736,      0.01 %

     total cpu time spent up to now is     15.75 secs

     total energy              =  -147.96340174 ryd
     estimated scf accuracy    <     2.11694003 ryd

     total magnetization       =     5.92 Bohr mag/cell
     absolute magnetization    =     5.97 Bohr mag/cell
Opteron(PGI) or INTEL(EM64T) result:
     iteration #  1     ecut=    30.00 ryd     beta=0.70
     Davidson diagonalization (with overlap)
     ethr =  1.00E-02,  avg # of iterations =  4.1

     npt with rhoup < 0:        2, npt tot    20736,      0.01 %

     npt with rhoup < 0:        2, npt tot    20736,      0.01 %

     total cpu time spent up to now is     30.39 secs

     total energy              =  -147.90474844 ryd
     estimated scf accuracy    <     2.13792299 ryd

     total magnetization       =     5.95 Bohr mag/cell
     absolute magnetization    =     6.00 Bohr mag/cell

At the initial stage, I would expect that the "total energy" are quite
similar calculated in two different platforms. However this is not the
case. Origin's energy is about 0.06 Ry lower than that in Opteron. And
such a difference was kept till the end. I can't imagine what reasoned for
this. On the other hand, platinum is free of this problem.

Is it due to different fft treatments in Origin and Linux machines? Or
code/library problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
William