[Pw_forum] Why the energies are different when two molecules are calculated together and separate?

Lucas Fernandez Seivane quevedin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:45:18 CEST 2006

I believe that this is more or less the case that Prof. Marzari states
as 1). It may due to an effect well known related to localized basis
(LCAO, gaussians) which has to do with the number of wavefunctions in
each one of your simulations: the  Basis Set Superposition Error.
Quoting from http://iqc.udg.es/~perico/bbopt.html:
"The theoretical study of molecular interactions under the
supermolecular approach with finite basis sets centered at the atomic
positions originates the so-called Basis Set Superposition Error
(BSSE) Within the LCAO-MO approach, each fragment can be expanded to
some extent in the basis set of the partner. Thus, BSSE is the
unphysical effect due to the improvement of the quantum mechanical
description of the fragments within the supermolecule. It has been
recognised for long time that this effect results in an increase of
the interaction energy."

Some ideas for dealing with it are seen for instance in
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/9908/9908022.pdf or in
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.72.075431