[Pw_forum] abysmal parallel performance of the CP code

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 28 19:15:20 CEST 2005

Dear Kostya,

a long time ago I had collated some of our tests on parallel
performance - parallelism over gigabit ethernet
used to go very well up to 4 nodes, and then flatten out.
All the details are in here:

http://nnn.mit.edu/ESPRESSO/CP90_tests/

The "large" system has ~500 bands, so it's a reasonably challenging
task. All the timings are always wall clock time.

We have more recent tests in the group (maybe someone could post them)
on Dual Xeon 3.4 Ghz, and 800 Mhz FSB. Our detailed experience there,
with a lot of help from Intel, was that the second CPU, living on the
same FSB, provides at best a 25%-30% performance boost. Opterons
achieve on the other hand excellent scaling on the two CPUs on the same
motherboard, but have worse performance at the single CPU level (I
believe thanks to the extensive use of MKL by the CP code).

My own feeling as the best platform for CP is nodes of 4 or 6 PIVs,
with the fastest memory and FSB available. Gigabit will do fine
for this small number of nodes. No idea about the recent dual core.

Anyone would be more than welcome to provide updated numbers for the
tests above (Axel did ! And I haven't collated them yet...) - do
keep in mind that in order to be accurate and faithful,
the machines needs to be completely empty (i.e. no other jobs running).
Also, it makes a big difference running on 4 cpus on 4 dual xeon,
where on each platform the second CPU is idle, than on 4 cpus on
two dual xeons, all running.  The OMP_NUM_THREADS is always set to 1.

Let us know,

			nicola