[Pw_forum] Re: [Pw_forum]a question about the relationship between Fermi energy and stability

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 13:12:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

The Fermi energy you calculate is not directly
related to the crystal stability until you study its
position on the density of states. According to the
Hume-Rothery rule  the Fermi level is located in the
(pseudo)minimum of the DOS, reducing the total energy.

I assume it is difficult to say which structure is
more stable based on only total energies, because
there is no details of structures you studied.
Besides, hopefully, you have not 119.5Ry, but
-119.5Ry.

Bests,
Eyvaz.