[Pw_forum] More on F-D smearing

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Oct 31 10:43:01 CET 2005

Dear Paul,

    I just wanted to confirm all what Nicola was writing.

    The quantity called total energy in PWSCF is the variational
quantity in presence of finite smearing, whose functional derivatives
are the K-S equations, as solved by the code, and whose derivatives
(forces and stress) can be computed exploiting Hellmann-Feynman theorem .

    Demet is the quantity that needs to be added to the band energy
\sum f_i \epsilon_i in order to make it equal to the integral computed
from the smeared density of state  \int \epsilon n(\epsilon) d\epsilon.
It is essential to recover the variational character of the functional.
In this sense it is a correction to the usual definition of eband needed
in the metallic case.  Since it generates confusion "correction for
metals" is probably an unlucky name.

     If the smearing function is chosen to be Fermi-Dirac and degauss is
interpreted as a temperature it happens that the variational quantity at
finite temperature is the free energy and this is the quantity computed
and printed as total energy by the code.
I agree total free energy would be more appropriate in this case. Demet
in this case equals  -TS.

     However, if the smearing is Gaussian, cold-smearing or
Methfessel-Paxton there is no real temperature around and no need to
talk about free energy and my feeling is that calling it total free
energy would also generate some confusion. The termodynamic analogue is
sometimes useful to understand, for instance, why the "total (free)
energy" decreases quadratically with increasing "temperature" with
gaussian and F-D smearing while is much flatted with M-V or M-P smearing.

      Note that in the case of Gaussian or F-D smearing, although the
quantity  (F+E)/2 = E - TS/2 is closer to the T=0 limit, it SHOULD NOT
be used as a the estimate for the energy since it IS NOT variational and
therefore not consistent with computed  forces . One should use instead
M-V or M-P smearing that are both more insensitive to the value of
smearing AND variational.

     Finally, in order to perform accurate finite temperature
calcualtion with reasonable number of k-points one should combine M-V or
M-P smearing (in order to speed up k-point convergence) with F-D (in
order to have finite temperature). This is probably what is done in the
paper by Gonze and coworkers mentioned by Nicola (I did not read it yet
so I may be wrong).  This is presently not implemented in PWSCF but it
should be rather straightforward to use as smearing width the
convolution of a M-V/M-P function (with a given degauss) and a F-D
function (with the desired physical temperature).
     In this case the "total energy" printed by PWSCF would be the
approximate "total free energy" but the "correction for metals" will not
be immediately related to  -TS  (one should deconvolute it somehow) .

     Since this issues keep generating confusion among users, I agree we
should make an effort to clarify them.

     stefano