[Pw_forum] Pseudopotential Format

Lilia Boeri L.Boeri at fkf.mpg.de
Thu Oct 27 14:27:08 CEST 2005

Dear PWSCF users,

I have been trying to convert a Li pseudopotential downloaded from the
ABINIT database (LDA TM pseudopotential generated with the FHI98 code) to PWSCF
UPF format; I thought I had succeeded in the conversion
because the total energies and other properties (bulk modulus, phonon
frequencies etc) were very similar in the two programs (the difference in
total energies is of the order of 1mRy). The problem is that when I looked
at the scf potential in real space given by the two programs the shape was
not the same... The difference is really in the ionic part, which means
that the pseudopotential is not the same in the two calculations.

- Has any of you had any experience in converting the pseudopotentials
from one code to the other?
- Where can I find documentation about the UPF format ? I have a doubt
about the meaning of the "maximum angular component"? What is the
difference between this and the "number of wavefunctions and number of
projectors"? Where should I type the l local?

Sorry for the confusion, thank you in advance for your response,
Lilia

p.s. I am attaching the headers of the two files, in case any of you
notice what is wrong in my conversion

ABINIT
lithium, fhi98PP : Trouiller-Martins-type, LDA Ceperley/Alder Perdew/Wang
(1992), l= 2 local
  3.000  1.000    021003              zatom,zion,pspdat
   6         7    3   2    433     0
pspcod,pspxc,lmax,lloc,mmax,r2well
  4.763  1.000  0.000                 rchrg, fchrg, qchrg
5--- These two lines are available for giving more information, later
6
7-Here follows the cpi file from the fhi98pp code-
1.00000E+00    4    <---- This should be the valence charge and the number
of wavefunctions
 0.0000    0.0000    0.0000   0.0000
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
  0.0000    .00e+00   .00e+00
433  0.10247000000000E+01

UPF

<PP_HEADER>
   0                   Version Number
  Li                   Element
   NC                  Norm - Conserving pseudopotential
    T                  Nonlinear Core Correction
 SLA PW   NOGX NOGC     Exchange-Correlation functional
    1.00000000000      Z valence
    0.00000000000      Total energy
  0.0000000  0.0000000 Suggested cutoff for wfc and rho
    3                  Max angular momentum component
  433                  Number of points in mesh
    4    3             Number of Wavefunctions, Number of Projectors
 Wavefunctions         nl  l   occ
                       2s  0  1.00
                       2p  1  0.00
                       3d  2  0.00