[Pw_forum] Very long time of computation

Jun-jun Yang yang_jun-jun at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:23:23 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm a newbie user of pwscf, and working on total energy calculation of
chromite mineral as
my first step for getting familiar with the program. But when I run the
program, it looks like
stpping at wavefunction calculation and seems endless.

starting charge 543.97604, renormalized to 544.00000
Starting wfc are atomic

The longest time it stopped (maybe still running) here was over 5 hours on
one processor.
The unit cell of the mineral has 56 atoms (Z=8) and crystal system is cubic.
I'm using USPP
potential. Please refer to snippet of my input file below. Do I make
anything wrong? Is such
a long computation time reasonable?

&control
    calculation = 'scf'
    restart_mode='from_scratch',
    prefix='fecr2o4',
    tstress = .true.
    tprnfor = .true.
    pseudo_dir = '../../pseudo/',
    outdir = $HOME/temp/
/
&system
    ibrav = 1, celldm(1) = 15.8321, nat = 56 , ntyp = 3,
    ecutwfc = 40.0
/
&electrons
    diagonalization = cg,