[Pw_forum] Question on stress in a system with constraints

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Oct 13 09:53:31 CEST 2005

Dear Nicola and Kostya,
I did not think deeply about the question, so I may be wrong, but I agree
with Kostya.

Stress is a first order derivative and as such only GS properties should
be needed.

Without constraint it is related to homogeneous deformation, in presence
of constraints it is related to a locally inhomogeneous deformation but
Hellman-Feynman theorem should still apply.
I guess the result will be something like the unconstraint stress plus a
term

\sum_i,gamma F_i,gamma {\partial tau_i,gamma \over \partial
\epsilon_{alpha,beta} } / omega

where F_i,gamma is the (unconstrained) gamma component of the force on
atom i and {\partial tau_i,gamma \over \partial \epsilon_{alpha,beta} }
is the first order variation of the position of atom i with distortion
needed to fulfill the constraint.

In order to compute the stress induced by a displacement one indeed need a
linear response calculation and one could think that also a term involving
the internal strain parameter (Delta) is needed. something like

\sigma^constr_{alpha,beta} = \sigma^unconstr_{alpha,beta} +
         \sum_i,gamma F_i,gamma *
             {\partial tau_i,gamma \over \partial \epsilon_{alpha,beta} } +
         \sum_i,gamma Delta_{alpha,beta;i,gamma} * delta tau_{i,gamma}

but stress is computed at zero deformation therefore delta tau_{i,gamma} is
actually zero

stefano