[Pw_forum] Question on stress in a system with constraints

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 17:28:04 CEST 2005

 Dear Nicola and Paolo,

 Thanks for the comments!

 However, I do not think that one needs the response functions from
DFPT  to remove constraints from the stress.

 What happens is that for homogeneous strain it is probably assumed
that the fractional coordinates in the cell remain the same, however,
the lattice vectors change, and so all the atomic Cartesian coordinates
are updated. Is that how the stress actually defined?

 With constraints, the change in the lattice vectors should also update
the fractional coordinates of some atoms, leading to extra derivatives
which include the usual atomic forces of these atoms times the change
in the fractional coordinates.

 Kostya