[Pw_forum] Anharmonic terms - 3rd order derivatives of energy wrt position

stewart at cnf.cornell.edu stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 9 21:17:31 CET 2005

Hi all,

  I am interested in anharmonic properties of crystals and I would like to
calculate the third order derivatives of energy with respect to changes in
lattice position.  PWscf does a great job of calculating the interatomic
force constants.  I was wondering if it is possible to calculate the 3rd
order terms for arbitrary q,q', and q''.  I have looked at the d3.x code,
but I believe this program only calculates terms of the form (0,q,-q).  I
would be interested in any suggestions people have on calculating these
terms.  Is this feature in the works for PWscf?  Also, can d3.x now handle
ultrasoft pseudopotentials?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Derek