[Pw_forum] phonon symmetry at any point

Dr. Claire Loison loison at cpfs.mpg.de
Thu Nov 3 10:10:51 CET 2005

Dear all,

My question has probably been answered
already somewhere, but I could not
find any hint in the mailing-list.

=> Here are my questions:
Is there a tool (in espresso or somewhere else)
that analyzes the symmetry of the
eigenvectors of the dynamical matrix ?
Can ph.x give this information in the output ?
Does ph.x use symmetry arguments
to simplify the diagonalizing of the dynamical matrix ?

=> Here is the background, in case my question are not precise enough:
When I calculate the phonon dispersion of a solid,
I get the phonon frequencies and eigenvectors at any q-point.
As many have done before me, I want to link the frequencies at different
qpoints according to their symmetry properties.
For the gamma point, i can relatively easily attribute the symmetry to the
different modes by looking at the eigenvectors of the dynamical matrix.
But for other q-points, it gets much more
complicated. I suppose i should find the sub-group of the new enlarged
unit cell corresponding to the new q-point
and find there which are the new symmetry of the modes in this subgroup.
And then finally see how they correlate to the symmetries found at gamma
point.  I can do this procedure by hand a few times for high-symmetry
qpoints, but for any q-point, i would just like to have a nice code
helping me to avoid  errors and saving time...
Do you know of such a tool ?

Thank you in advance,

Claire

Dr. Claire LOISON