[Pw_forum] Solved! Re: Problems running PWscf in parallel

stewart at cnf.cornell.edu stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Tue Nov 1 22:06:44 CET 2005

Hi all,

  Through some helpful comments from pwscf users, I have been able to get
the parallel version of the espresso package to compile with lam-mpi and
ifort v8.1.  I was running into a problem where MPI crashed on multiple
processor runs with the following statement

MPI_Allreduce: invalid operation: Invalid argument (rank 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD)
Rank (0, MPI_COMM_WORLD): Call stack within LAM:
Rank (0, MPI_COMM_WORLD):  - MPI_Allreduce()
Rank (0, MPI_COMM_WORLD):  - main()

Marco Fornari suggested changing the following three lines of f_def.h
in the include directory from

#if defined(__LAM) && ( defined (__LINUX) || defined (__LINUX64) )
#define MPI_REAL8 MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION
#endif

#if defined(__LAM) || ( defined (__LINUX) || defined (__LINUX64) )
#define MPI_REAL8 MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION
#endif

When I recompiled the code with this fix, I had no problems running pw.x in
parallel on multiple processors.  This change might be a good thing to
implement in the next version of the espresso package.

Thanks again,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
Scientific Computation Associate