[Pw_forum] convergence of phonon

Eduardo Ariel Menendez P emenendez at macul.ciencias.uchile.cl
Thu May 26 01:23:05 CEST 2005

Thank you Stefano and Nicola for your advice.
I just want to close this issue, after
almost three months calculating the phonons.
I added random displacements to the atoms and relaxed the atomic
position and the cell shape. In this way, the calculations were done
without symmetry. The atomic positions and the cell shape changed
a little bit, but the structure was not unstable.

Then, for each cutoff (30,40, and 50 Ry), I relaxed the positions and
followed a Gamma-point phonon calculation. A summary is

Cutoff                 30 Ry       40 Ry            50 Ry
smallest omegas   -63,-45,14   -57,-27,-12    -44,-32,-9
largest omegas    637,691,692   640,691,692   639,692,692
(omegas in cm^-1)

Hence, I consider that I have reasonable convergence, and
even the awful  negative frecuencies go towards 0.

Was I think that is to be learnt, is that before a phonon calculation one
must relax the positions after breaking the symmetry. The bad news is
that the calculation becomes much more expensive.

Best regards
Eduardo

Message: 3